| 2 cups quick cooking rolled oats | 3 tsp oil | 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi) | 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson) | 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils) | 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta) | 1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli , broken into pieces | 2 green chillies , | 1/2 cup finely chopped onions | 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot | 1/4 cup green peas | 1 tsp sugar | salt to taste
For The Garnish | 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan, add the oats and ½ tsp of turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
2. Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
3. When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, red chillies and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
4. Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute or till the onions turn translucent.
5. Add the carrots and green peas and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
6. Add the oats mixture, sugar, salt and remaining ½ tsp of turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
7. Add 1½ cups of hot water, cover and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.