| Oats – 1 cup, lightly dry roasted for 4 mts | Water – 3/4 cup | Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp | Lemon juice – 1 1/4 tbsp | Salt to taste | Peanuts – fistful, roasted | Oil – 2 tsps
For tempering: | Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp | Split gram dal – 1 tsp | Bengal gram – 1 1/2 tsps | Green chilies – 2, slit | Red chilies – 1, tear and de-seed | Curry leaves – 1 sprig | Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add the dals and allow to turn lightly red. Add green chilies, red chili, curry leaves and asafoetida and mix well.
2. Add turmeric powder and mix. Add water and salt and bring to a boil.
3. Add oats and mix. Reduce flame and place lid. Cook for 4 minutes.
4. Remove lid, add lemon juice and mix well. Cook without lid for 4 more minutes, mixing once in a while.
5. Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve warm with yogurt or pickle.